Sunday, April 18, 2010

waking up

Inexcusable absence, sure, but that's the way it goes sometimes friends. I'm going to skip the apologies on account of how they are boring and move on to the good stuff which is...

...IT'S SPRING!

Yes, spring! What with the sun and the relative warm weather and the flowers and everything! I love winter and the way it quiets and focuses and sharpens that sense of survival, but each year by the time spring rolls around I am absolutely desperate for it. My brain is itchy and I feel restless and irritable and then I see those first crocuses pop up on my walk to the subway and I am so relieved that I actually stop and applaud. So far the flowers seem indifferent to my embarrassing public show of approval, but who knows, maybe they're just playing it cool.

I've been really fascinated by the unfurling action of all the leaves and flowers that have been doing their thing these past few weeks. Because really, doesn't that look like it just feels good? It makes me think of waking up. Not that ripped from the sanctity of my bed by the alarm clock kind of waking up, but the way it feels to wake up when you have actually had enough sleep. I realize this may be a fairly distant memory for some of you but reach back and see if you can find it anyway. There's that slow bleed of awareness, that first big yawning gulp of oxygen, and that awesome full body stretch. Good stuff. So enjoy the spring, friends. Go out in the sun and be all leafy and yawn and stretch and enjoy waking up again.

No comments: